Fort Worth, built in 1849, was an outpost of 30 soldiers created as a protective buffer against unknown dangers of the wilderness to the west; thus the title: FORT WORTH, WHERE THE WEST BEGINS. Soon other settlers and burgeoning civilization attracted establishment of homes and farms around the fort.
Very early on, a main public road to the west was formed. It came down the bluff north of the fort and meandered west along a path that is now White Settlement Road, passing the farms of Charles Turner (Greenwood Cemetery area south to Seventh Street) and Joseph Connors (Crestwood Addition and Monticello). In 1858, Conners sold 640 acres to Turner and purchased 320 adjoining acres (northern area of Crestwood) where he built his home on the highest point of his new property - near the joining of Sherwood Avenue and Edgefield Road. Eventually, all this property was bought by William Bailey, whose homestead is now the Elks Club.
In 1930, William Bailey sold two pieces of property to Charles Daggett and Mary Pratt. In the late 1930's they and Bailey sold land to Luther and Loffland Realtors who began deve1oping the various subdivisions now collectively known as Crestwood Addition.
The first subdivision opened on Crestwood Drive; the first two homes built were residences for Loffland (400 Crestwood Drive) and Holmes (308 Crestwood Drive). The second Subdivision was at the south end of North Bailey and Crestwood Terrace. The lots on Ridgewood Road and Cresthaven Terrace were sold in 1941 and building began that year. This area was Incorporated and named Crestwood Village; Edward Dietz was the mayor. A few years later, during World War II, Crestwood Village became Crestwood Addition and was taken into the limits of the City of Fort Worth.
Eastwood Avenue and Sherwood Avenue were subdivided and opened up after Wor1d War II. The area from Sherwood Avenue north to Ohio Garden Road across the river was farmland traversed by the Trinity River and bridle paths through a nature area sometimes used by equestrians who kept their horses in a stable nearby. This land was not zoned for residential building due to the low elevation around the banks of the river. In 1945, A.C. Luther went before the City Zoning Board and obtained a zoning change in spite of the flooding threat to create an area for homes for the benefit of returning soldiers and their families. Luther Addition was created and building began in 1945. In 1949, many of the homes between the river and Wildwood Road were flooded. Since then, the Trinity River bed has been rerouted and a levee built to protect these homes that are now part of the Crestwood Addition. Levee Construction began in 1951. Crestwood Park, located within the Crestwood neighborhood, and nearby Rockwood Park were established during this era.
Crestwood Park, located at 3750 Rockwood Park Dr. between N. Bailey Ave. to the East and Northwood Rd. to the West, offers playground equipment and picnic facilities. Across the Trinity River from Crestwood, Rockwood Park offers a public golf course, driving range, putting course, baseball and soccer fields, and picnic facilities.